Sunday, June 21

Father's Day

As I sit down to write this post, I'm taken back to the summer of '02 and a conversation I had with Jeremy. It was before we started dating and was one of those late night college conversations, sans alcohol, that last all night and create a bond that you'll keep with you forever. We were sitting on the porch of "The Maze" and dawn was just about to break. The morning birds, as I called them, were just waking up. We somehow had gotten on the topic of family and Jeremy started talking about his little brothers. He spoke so passionately about them, about his hopes and dreams for them, and I saw a completely new side to him. Jeremy probably doesn't remember that conversation, but that night I started to fall for him and I knew I had found someone who was special.

You see, my parents divorced when I was little and I haven't had much of a relationship with my Father. Growing up, it was minimal at best. And it's been non-existent for the last three years. My mom has done a great job of providing all the love, support, and encouragement that he didn't care to give. I think I turned out alright considering that he didn't play much of a role in my life. Because of all of this, I made a vow to myself that no matter what, one of the top qualities of my future husband was that he had to be a great dad.


Fast forward 7 years later and here we are. Noelle is a complete Daddy's girl and I love it. I love how she adores him so fully and whole-heartily. I love how he is a nervous wreck about her first date and she is only 2.5 years old. I love that every time he says goodnight or goodbye, she has to give him a kiss, then an eskimo kiss, then a squeezer.


I love that Jeremy is counting down the days until he can teach Ty how to throw and catch. I love how he sings to him and can get him to laugh at any time of day. I love how he can get Ty to sleep, no matter what, once he finds that once certain spot on Daddy's chest.

Watching my husband love our kids is the most precious thing.

And I'm at peace knowing that our kids will grow up with nothing but wonderful, meaningful, and beautiful memories.

I know it now and I knew it 7 years ago, he is the perfect dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment